Thursday, August 4, 2016

Lahkers Break 13-Game Losing Streak

Orikan the Diviner bends the Chapter Smasher over his knee and claims my second Warlord kill of the battle.
After a string of dreary defeats, I slapped together a list consisting of a Lychstar with Imotekh, Orikan, and a lonely Lord with nothing but the Veil of Darkness, two 20-man blobs of Flayed Ones, two troops squads, the Legolith, and a Destroyer Cult, and battled it out with Nathaniel and Ike.  They brought a Raven Guard Talons Strike Force (Nathaniel) and an Iron Hands Fist of Medusa Strike Force (Ike), the nasty points of which were Ike's Chapter Master with the Teeth of Terra and Gorgon's Chain on a bike, and Nathaniel's Captain with Swiftstrike and Murder, two relic Lightning Claws (I think).
He also had the Raven skull of Korrivad and the Ravens Fury relics equipped. -Ike
Ike's Sergeant holding an objective in his deployment zone.
Long story short, I finally played the Necrons like they should be played.  Destroyers and shooting units back against my board edge (Dawn of War deployment), Flayed Ones forward in a hasty and what I thought would be an ill-advised blocking action, and the Legolith hanging out in the center.  The Raven Guard and Iron Hands came at me fast and hard, and the Flayed Ones did die, but not before they cushioned the impacts, took the hits, and killed a few Vanguard Veterans.
Even a Venerable Dreadnought can't stop Orikan!
Both Nathaniel and Ike's Warlords ended up in my left flank, only about 6 inches from each other.  I ported the Lychstar through the Monolith and cut their retreat off.  They murdered my nearby Destroyer Lord, but stayed in the area, and this meant  that when my turn 2 rolled around (I went second) I brought my Heavy Destroyers in from reserve and one-volleyed Nathaniel's warlord.  Then Orikan got the stars just right, transformed into his super-powerful form, and beat Ike's Chapter Smasher to a pulp.
Cleaning up the enemy stragglers.
The rest of the game was hopping around with Destroyers and gradually picking the enemy squads off their objectives.  I won, 9-8 VP.  Orikan's turn 2 power-up, the sacrifice of the Flayed Ones, the Legolith redeploying my forces with its Eternity Gate, and the mobility of the Destroyers won me that game.  Ike admitted he got cocky with his Chapter Smasher.  I was surprised I'd won, but happy.  It was a good battle.
The Legolith lurches onto the center objective, and I claim victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment